Juicy plum cake (german classic)September 8, 2018 by Sarah Moniri
My boyfriends parents have a plum tree in their garden and it's plum season from late august till early September! In germany, there is this tradition to eat plum cake with potato soup. So they literally dip their cake into the soup. I rather have both parties separated... The plum cake is amazing and reminds me of autumn( I feel like every season is my favorite season but autumn is just so beautiful & cozy). Plus it is super easy to make.
Ingredients for the cake: (Makes one big sheet)
- Around 1 kilogram/ 8 cups plums
- 220 g / 1 cup milk (room temperature)
- 40 g fresh yeast
- 80 g/ 7 Tbsp sugar
- 500 g/ 4 cups flour
- 70 g/ 5 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg
For the crumbles:
- 300 g/ a little over 2 cups flour
- 150g/ 15 Tbsp sugar
- 150g/ half a cup butter
- The first step is to core the plum. This is probably the most time consuming part, and we luckily have a machine for this.
2. Now, heat the milk( lukewarm). When it has reached a lukewarm temperature, add the yeast and sugar. Stir until everything is combined.
3. Add flour, egg and butter and mix until smooth. And that's the whole magic! Easy right? The yeast dough needs to rise, so I like to make a water bath in my kitchen sink and let the dough( in a bowl of course) rise for about 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, make the crumbles by just combining everything together and mix till you have crumbles. The dough should be big & fluffy by now. Knead the dough for around 4-5 minutes, and roll it out so it fits into your sheet.
5. Place the plums on the dough( they should "stand") and pour the crumbles over the whole cake. Bake for 30 minutes(180 grad celsius/350 Fahrenheit)
And that's it! You will love it, I promise !
- xo, Sarah